26.01.2015 - 28.01.2015 30 °C
We are now in Indonesia. When we first arived in Medan I though Medan was the crazyest city i have ever saw it had 5 million peple and the traffic was crazy it took us 3 hours to get across it. After our half hour flight from Penang. It was noon but we had a 5 hour drive to Bukit Lawang. When we finaly got here we still had to walk through the village to get to our hotel. Our bed has a mosquito net. I don't really like it because i get tangled up in it like a fly in a spiders web. Our balcony also has a hammok and now there is constant combat with Neve over it.
Bukit Lawang is a peacful little village beside the river and is the best place in the world to see wild orangutans. The next day we had to get up at 7 30 in the morning and by 8 30 we were ready to go on our tour to see the orangutans. We crossed the river in a raft and sure enough we saw an orangutan within the first half hour. Then it was orangutan feeding time but only 1 orangutan and fifty long tailed mekaks (another kind of monkey). We also saw baboons, tomas leaf monkeys and lots and lots of termites but we had to be careful because the trail was a clay path and was extremely slippery. We hiked with our guide Kembar for 3 more hours and saw 5 more orangutans.
There are only 7000 orangutans left in the wild and we saw 6 of them. It is like that because peple take them as pets and tney have lost too much habitat to palm oil plantaitions so check your food and don't buy it if it contains palm oil. Orangutans have 96.4 percent human genes.the other 3.6 percent must be the genes for swinging around and eating ants.